Sunday, May 25, 2014

Frustrating Spring, Patience and Shifting Views

My vegetable garden just doesn't look the way it should for Memorial Day weekend.  And it really bothers me.  I have lived in Wisconsin long enough to know it shouldn't bother me but it really does.  I only have lettuce, spinach, peas, potatoes and onions planted.  I thought for sure by now I would have my brussels sprout and kohlrabi seedlings planted. I thought for sure by know I would have my cucumber, zucchini, carrots and bean seeds planted.  I thought for sure by now I would have my tomato and pepper seedlings planted.  Frustrating but so classic Wisconsin.  The last couple of years we have had amazing springs. Flowers and vegetables seemed to grow with ease and the weather always cooperated.

This spring started out with such promise.  I was able to work the soil and prepare some of my seed beds.  I had lettuce and spinach survive the winter and got multiple cuttings from it.  I got my pea seeds and onion sets in on what ended up to be perfect weather timing because ever since then the weather has been cold and rainy.  These kind of conditions make it so hard to work your soil. I know I need to be patient and shift my view because working soil when it is wet is just a recipe for disaster.  Working your soil when it is wet means your soil will turn into hard clumps that are like rocks.  This is not a condition you want for your garden because it takes a year or longer for the soil to break down. I know I need to be patient but it is so hard as you watch the days and then weeks tick away.  It's not like we live in San Diego and can have a garden year round.  In Wisconsin I feel like every day is precious for growing your garden.

Having said all this I guess it is a year in which I need to shift my focus back a couple of weeks.  I know that the weather along Lake Michigan in the fall can be the most amazing weather for growing vegetables.

Shifting views and patience is what vegetable gardening is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment