Sunday, April 27, 2014

Great Timing

On April 19th I planted my peas and onions.  If you live in Milwaukee you know I have had some really bad weather timing.  The weather has just not been warm and now the weather forecast for the next week is rain and high temperatures in the 40's.  The joys of living by Lake Michigan in the springtime. Since my space is somewhat limited, I decided to plant a combination of yellow, white and red onions. The onions were ordered from Territorial Seed.  This is my second year ordering the Northern Mixed Bunch. This order contains three varieties in a single bunch of about 50 to 75 plants.

The bunch of onions right out of the shipping box

The bunch has three varieties - Walla Walla (white), Red Zeppelin (red) and Ringmaster (yellow). These varieties produced really well for me last year.  I had onions from mid August through the end of the growing season.  This year I took the bunch and separated the plants between the three varieties which was easy to do given the three colors.

Bunch divided into three varieties

I was easily able to plant about six feet of each variety.  The row I created was made out of my compost and mounded to about 6 to 8 inches with an application of a general fertilizer of 10-10-10. The onions were then planted about 6 inches apart and about 1 inch deep.  If you plant the onions too deep they won't bulb for you into beautiful onions you really want. Come on warm weather. My onion plants are waiting.

All watered and ready to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment